When we started the process, we created a budget with some contingencies in it. In the budget, we made a series of assumptions, and then added 30% to the budgets, in the hope that the additional money would be enough to absorb any delays or issues that cropped up along the way.
Unfortunately, it turned out that 30% extra wasn’t enough. Not even a little bit nearly enough. In fact, we got things horribly wrong on two different counts: We vastly over-spent on our development budget, and we grossly misestimated how much it was going to cost to put the product into production.
Triggertrap's CEO Haje has written in more depth about what happened, and how we ended up having to cancel the project.